Sunday, August 12, 2007

My Insights Discovery Profile- Work In Progress

The Insights Discovery Profile is a self-development tool based Carl Jung’s concept of psychological type. It is somewhat similar to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and even the Harrison Innerview, other self-development tools that rely on identifying certain psychological and personality differences. With each tool a person’s responses to a simple questionnaire generates the data that is central to a final report, identifying the person’s strengths and weaknesses. However, unlike other profiles that simply present valuable information, the Insights profile is accompanied by a “How To” system to put action in place.

The Insights Discovery Personal Profile includes: An Overview; Key strengths and weaknesses; Value to the Team; Effective Communication; Barriers to Effective Communication; Possible Blind Spots; and Suggestions for Development.


I’ve been fortunate to now experience each tool and am most impressed with the Insights Discovery Profile. As I review my report I want to focus on what I view to be my three strengths, weaknesses, blind spots, and suggestions for developments.


Key Strengths:

Of ten key strengths identified, the 3 that ring true to me are objectivity, an orderly approach to the task, and consistency in standards. Now, all ten strengths clearly help to identify me as an HR person, but the three I want to focus on truly represent my behavior. As an HR professional I must be objective in my decisions and consistent in standards and application of those standards. Further, I am very organized and plan out my tasks.


Key Weaknesses:

Of ten key weaknesses identified, the 3 that ring true to me are tends to avoid social interaction, others may find me cold and distant, and could appear too unemotional or uninvolved. For me the noted weaknesses are an outgrowth of my work place behavior, a conscience effort on my part to keep my interactions with employees professional in an effort to maintain fairness and objectivity. Is this an extreme condition? Perhaps. Does this mean that I am unfriendly or aloof? No. It simply means I am careful with the level of interpersonal relationships I have with individuals.


Blind Spots:

According to the Insights Discovery Profile “blind spots” reflect less conscious behaviors a person may project that affect how others perceive that person. For me there are three blind spots, those less conscious behaviors I need to focus on. They are: neglect to involve others in my activities, does not openly share thoughts and feelings with others, not open to the ideas from others.


Suggestions for Development:

My Insights Discovery Profile reveals ten suggestions for development. For me, each is important and I want to address each individually. By doing so I can develop an action plan for improvement. Here is my list of ten suggestions for development:

  • Greater interaction with all sorts of people.
  • Trusting his feelings more.
  • Identifying when extensive detail is not needed.
  • Paying attention to people who are unafraid to put their foot in their mouths, rather than “tuning out”.
  • Seeking the positive side of every situation.
  • Taking the occasional risk by deciding only on the information available. It may be better to make a poor decision than no decision at all.
  • Changing his perception of aggression being a weakness to that of an essential gift that is occasionally necessary to get things done.
  • Engaging excitedly in general discussion.
  • Attempting to respond more quickly to his more extraverted colleagues.
  • Sharing responsibilities or processes.
My next step is to develop self-directed learning plan based on the above areas. A self-directed learning plan should include 1) identifying learning needs, 2) establishing specific learning objectives, 3) identifying learning resources, and 4) documenting measurable outcomes and evaluating those outcomes.

I will research the text For Your Improvement and identify those clusters that relate to these areas as a starting point.